Monday 28 November 2011

Txt tlk, nd its damage 2 society

My first moan of hopefully many more moans to come, is that of the english language and those who actively choose to disregard it and concoct their own language. Okay, maybe a bit over exaggerated as it is still readable, but text talk is a fast growing phenomenon that is slowly killing the english language. I find myself questioning if they are actually putting effort into typing and spelling things incorrectly, or the absurd thought that it comes naturally.


If you are of a social group in that you have never stumbled across this curiosity, then allow me to clarify. Text talk is the shortening of words, or the changing of words, to relay a message faster. So instead of typing 'you', you'd just type the letter 'U' and you save yourself the monumental time consuming task of hitting those two extra buttons of 'Y' and 'O'. Too becomes 2. With becomes wiv. Message becomes msg. So on and so forth. Combining all these text shortenings, amounts to a message that is not legible, and I have to pull out the drawing board to try and decipher the message.
Ever since I was little, I’ve been good at spelling. It annoys me if I were ever to not be able to spell a word, and practically growing up on a computer, spell-checker often helped me to learn these spellings so I wouldn’t be wrong again. If you ever find an incorrectly spelled word in one of my blog postings, I will treat you to a chocolate bar of your choice. Wherever in the world you live, I will send it to you. Back to topic, spelling is now bypassed by text talk (or should i say ‘txt tlk’) and it’s worrying to think that children are being brought up around such a travesty. I remember when I was little, my mother stressed the upmost importance of speaking and writing correctly and that one time she even made me rub out the tittle atop of an I when I made it into a smiley face, and made me do it again. 
I know that I shouldn’t do this, but I actually take more of a liking towards someone if they spell and talk comprehensibly. We are the generation that was brought up to social networking, so a lot of conversations with my fellow peers often take place online. However, if a person types correctly, that to me, is the basis for a good friendship. Opposed to those who pop up on chat, saying ‘eyup kid, wt u duin?’, who never get much of a reply. I do have friends who talk in the text format, but the majority of my close friends speak the proper english language. Writing ‘lyk dis’ doesn’t give you much credibility in the world. Take the extra few seconds to write ‘like this’ and you may be taken more seriously. Maybe, just maybe, we can save mankind.


My next moan: Naming and Shaming.

2 comments:

  1. This also really irritates me. I've had proper English and spelling beaten into me (not literally) by my Mother and an old English teacher of mine.

    I used to use text talk when I first got a phone, but that was because I had limited characters and didn't want to use more than one text message at a time (Tight git, I know). Now that I have unlimited text messages I never abbreviate anything, and it does also wind me up to no end when my friends (and even family) abbreviate words. What is worse is when someone 'abbreviates' a word but actually makes it longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please may I have my chocolate bar...

    English is a proper-noun and as such should be capitalised. As for the text speak at least now I will be able to understand half the messages I have received recently from other fellow students.

    Please don't name and shame me, English is my second language and I know it needs improvement on the spelling and grammar.

    ReplyDelete