Monday 12 March 2012

Twonks on twitter


First off, let's just say that the first word of the title could easily have been substituted with a word also beginning with 'tw' but i'm trying to maintain a family friendly blog.

In the beginning, I failed to see the attraction of twitter. Facebook trumped it in terms of adding friends, sharing photos, and the chat implemented system just seemed so much better. I was then persuaded to sign up to twitter by a university lecturer who said it was a brilliant way to keep up with news in real time. What did I have to lose? Now, here I am, finding myself using twitter more and more. Cheap plug, but follow me here, for more frequent, 140 character long, rambles. 

Anyway, the idea of twitter is fundamentally one of the best that our generation has ever seen. For those unfamiliar with twitter, they implement a feature in that they analyse what it's users are talking about and display the top 10 results in the 'trends' (I think they're missing a trick by not calling it twends, but anyway). 

On a recent night out, I was stood in a kebab shop and discovered of the death of Whitney Houston, due to a man tweeting as he wait for his burger. As soon as one hears about the death of such a famous person, they'll tweet, can't believe Whitney Houston has died, R.I.P and before you know it, there it is magically in the trends on the side of your screen. One of the best ideas since the guy who concocted the idea to put 'You Are Here' on maps. 

Surely by now, you're thinking, where is your moaning that I am often so fond of! Well, it's the trends that I often see trending from creepy pubescent children who are determined to get their fandom to be top of the trends. There is no avoiding them, it's just whatever is being talked about and due to the large amount of people in certain social followings you get trends of 'JustinIsASexPanther' 'Verify Beliebers' and 'Justin is Biebtastic'. I've solely picked on the ridiculous titled 'Belieber' fangirls as those are the trends which are the statistically hilarious. 

In hindsight, it just annoys me. It has the potential to be the amazing bearer of news, good or bad, but is spoiled by little kids. However, we were all kids one day and despite the pathetic trends that do pop up throughout the day, the important ones do still tell me all I need to know. We were all kids at one point, just the current generation of kids need to go out and play, like I did as a child, rather than making me grit my teeth at how they blindly worship their idol/idols. 


My next moan: The traffic control room

No comments:

Post a Comment