Monday 9 January 2012

Piercing your future

We've all had that great idea. That great idea, that yes, i'll give in to the social stereotype of being different and abstract and get a piercing. I'll start off this moan by openly admitting that, a year or so ago, I got my ear pierced. I'm glad I did. It's a nice thing to have, and means that on a night out, I can put in a nice earring. It also meant that my parents were able to get me a relatively nice earring for my 17th birthday. Which I subsequently lost. But the point still stands.


However, what people don't seem to understand is that whatever you pierce, you're not just piercing that part of your body, but also your future. An ear piercing is acceptable. However, stretching your earlobes to the point where a small rodent can jump through them, no need. You're stuck with them for life, and no matter how 'cool' it is now, you're going to be the laughing stock of the nursing home one day. If i was more of a gutsy person, i'd run up to someone with ridiculously stretched earlobes, attach a padlock and then run for my life. 


It applies to every other piercing. The concealed ones, aren't as bad. Belly buttons and nipples are strange piercings to say the least, but at least they are covered. Examples of piercings which are going to affect your future include; nose, eyebrow and tongue.  How many managers do you see with the before piercings? 


Additionally, tattoos are great way to express yourself. Nothing says 'I'm committed more' than a personal etching on your skin for life. A tattoo sleeve though, despite it's apparent coolness, screams trouble to any interviewer. I myself, plan to get a tattoo when I'm a little older and wiser. My Dad recently got a tattoo expressing his love for his local football side. Tattoos aren't a bad thing. Too many tattoos, in the wrong place, can give a bad impression.


I'm not saying that if you've had your ears stretched or a tattoo sleeve that you're going nowhere in life. You are more than capable of proving me wrong and establishing yourself further up the job ladder. It's just social stereotypes dictate that the man with the bare skin and untouched ears will be better for the job. When it's the skills of the trade, not the ink on your skin or your earlobes touching the floor.


Just be wary. You might look cool and get the desired attention or the feeling of expressing yourself. But, it could well hinder your job opportunities. Which in turn, hinders your entire future.


My next moan: God speed

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I know several people who have been refused jobs due to their piercings, but they failed to understand that having 10 piercings on your face can look quite distracting. xxx

    ReplyDelete