Monday 27 February 2012

The decline of the music industry

A friend of mine sent me a link to  Nicki Minaj's new song, 'stupid hoe'. It's worth adding at this point, he did not think it was a good song and was in the same boat as me. Anyway, Minaj isn't off to a great start with the title of the song. The sheer crapness of the song makes me want to tear my ears off and throw them at the people who were responsible for bringing that song into the publics earshot. Agonizingly and astonishingly, it already has over 33 million views. Let's look at some lyrical comparison;


Nicki Minaj: You a stupid hoe, You a, You a stupid hoe.. You a stupid hoe, yeah you a stupid hoe.
The Beatles: Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns. It calls me on and on across the universe. 

The above lyrics don't even need clarifying, If you don't see the sheer contrast in the quality of the lyrics then you might want to book a taxi to a mental institution.

The song as a whole is the epitome of what is wrong with the music industry. When songs were defined as good by the catchy tune or the inspiring lyrics is now rated on who looks the best or does the best performance.  Lady Gaga criticised Adele for being boring whilst on stage and saying that sitting down and singing will becoming boring after the third or fourth video, and needs to get up and dance, much like she does. She couldn't be more wrong, Adele is ten times the singer and the performer that Lady Gaga is, and the latter isn't fit to lace Adele's shoes.

It pains me that I wasn't born in the 60's where they had some of the most influential music to grace the industry. Whereas, i'm stuck in a generation of Jessie J and it not being about the money. Cee Lo Green yelling profanities at cars in the street. Rihanna singing about a piece of apparatus designed to keep her dry. Now we have manure in Nicki Minaj's song about someone being 'a stupid hoe', surely the bottomless pit was invented for the reason entirely to throw her in and rid the world of such a painstakingly terrible song. 

There are some diamonds hiding amongst the caverns of the music industry, who deserve to be making a living through their talents. Blur, Foo Fighters, Adele, Noel Gallagher, Coldplay, just to mention a few. Countered by the 'cubic zirconia' of today's music: DJ Fresh, Flo Rida, Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, Cher Lloyd. The music industry, isn't as bleak as I made it out to be, there is still some top quality artists. But there's still some 'rot', destroying the music industry.

Of course, special mention goes out to Rebecca Black. Her excruciatingly painful lyrics that accompanied wtih a repetitive beat, coincided to make Friday. Easily one of the worst pop songs to ever be driveled out of the music industry. If you haven't heard it, I beg you to spare yourself the pain. It's so bad that it could be the music played while dementors suck the soul out of your body. 


I'm actually having so much fun moaning about this, i've decided to stretch it into a part 2 for next week. I've wrote a lot so far and i've barely got into my points. I'm guessing you can tell how strongly I feel about the subject. Please bare in mind, that the Minaj song is ONE song out of thousands that I could have chosen to rip to shreds. It just so happened that this one is the worst of a bad bunch, and more will be brought to light next week.


Disclaimer: I am sorry if any of you rip off your ears after listening to Nicki Minaj's song, and apologize for bringing it to your attention. I understand your pain.


My next moan: The decline of the music industry (part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment