Monday 5 March 2012

The decline of the music industry (part 2)

Of course these moans about the decline of the music industry have come about through the recent awards that have been dished out. In particular, the Brit awards and the NME awards. It was refreshing to see bands such as Blur winning 'outstanding contribution to music', only for twitter to erupt in 'hu da fuq r blur?'. If you don't know who Blur are, and how they are the epitome of a successful band, then you should probably start to gain some musical knowledge.

It's infuriating how chart music is more about the performance as compared to musical talent. The one that sticks in my mind was when Lady Gaga turned up to some sort of awards ceremony in a dress made completely out of meat. I mean, what's the need? Is that not just an outlandish cry for attention, and to make her get seen in the newspaper. I'd prefer to get media attention based on my single talents, rather than looking like a concotion of Burger King. Would have been funny to see a pack of dogs chasing after her. 

I remember being a naive youngster. I remember the days of listening to chart music and having my music taste based on what ever was in the charts. I'm not perfect, and looking back my musical taste was diabolical. But, you only have to watch live performances of 'musicians', hyphenated for a very good reason, such as Black Eyed Peas. A band that can produce a few relatively good songs, such as Where Is The Love? Yet, sound absolutely terrible live. They are a band who are based completely on their image. I would rather eat a lemon, laced with cyadine than go see them live.

I know that everybody's music taste is differential.  A lot would argue that my listening to the Indie/Alternatie genre is somewhat lacking. I can understand view points. I'm not that big of a fan of metal and heavier music, but I can still understand why some like that type of music. However, the music industry has been snowballing in the past years and it needs to stop. We need to stop buying in to what charts feed us. Some bands do deserve to be in the charts. Yet, there's some, who are terrible... terrible 'musicans'.

My next moan: Twonks on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment