Monday 7 May 2012

University


As I approach the end of my first academic year of university, it seems customary to do a moan. I recommend university to any young students out there who are rattling their brains about whether to actually put yourself in monumental amounts of debt, just for a degree. University is a great place to meet new people, and focus on that one subject that you have a real passion for, and have an actual interest in. Contrasted to the days of secondary school where you're forced to do tedious subjects such as Religious Education or Mathematics. No, university, is focused and specialized and I cannot speak of it highly enough.

However, the general consensus from all my blog posts is that I can find dust in diamonds. A strange comparison, but, university isn't perfect, far from it. It has a wealth of advantages, a university degree is regarded highly in job interviews and you catapult yourself up the job ladder a lot faster than working your way through the company.

Obviously, this moan is more tailored around my university experiences but university students up and down the country will be able to relate to my experiences. 

If you're used to the spoon fed life of college, then you're in for a shock at university. Not only do they expect you to do the work, they tell you once and that's it. There's no reminders. They expect you to make a note of it and do it on your own accord. Unlike school where they reminded you every single lesson until the coursework deadline.

Then there's assignments and exams. You think you had it bad at school, then wait for university. They don't spread them about across the year, not even across a month. Everything is expected to be completed in one week. It's a week that absolutely kills you, and of course being the lazy generation, we choose to do it all at the last minute and hence run ourselves into the ground trying to keep on top of it all. It's a cruel decision from the university elders to put all deadlines in one week, but we never learn. 

Then, this might just be for me, but if i'm paying just short of 10,000 pounds for a degree, (I got in to university before the recent price hikes) then I expect top quality education. Studying journalism, I don't want to learn how to use Windows movie maker. Nor, do I expect my lecturer to fall asleep in lesson while the other lecturer is taking the class. I didn't mind letting things slide at school and college, but if i'm putting myself into serious debt for a substantial amount of years after I graduate, then I expect the best education. Then again, that probably depends on the university that you go to. 

As said in the first paragraph. Go to university, it is worth it (yes, even after the price hikes), but prepare to run yourself into the ground, get constantly frustrated all for a little piece of paper tied up in a ribbon. 



My next moan: Taxi drivers

No comments:

Post a Comment